Technology is changing tremendously and rapidly these days almost as quickly as changing clothes. Everybody can relate to this, how often our devices ask us to update our application or do some kind of system check to make ourselves updated with the changes.
So, it is understandable that users are required to know about the technology changes according to the technology changes. Adding a technology certification to your resume would be a good option for exposure to the technical difficulty of a subject. There are two options for this: you can either earn a certification even before finishing your degree or you can wait to obtain some on-job experience before going for a certification. Applications like Microsoft Office that are being widely used these days, you can choose any of the approaches. But one question that might arise is what is the worth of MOS certification? This can be answered by understanding the benefits of MOS certification. Office applications are considered to be the baseline technical competency for many workplace jobs. Let us explore the pros and cons of MS Office Certifications in this article.
- The two major hindrances that come in the way of attaining a certification are time and money. High training materials and exam fees, which can cause you to step back. It is understood that you have to devote a lot of time to study so that you can pass the certification exam. The Microsoft Office suite is very comprehensive as various tools are included in that.
- Certifications may not be a prerequisite yet it helps in showcasing your skills. They can work in grabbing the attention of their employer but you will not often find it as a requirement of employment.
- Some certifications are valid for a short span and require recertification or testing. This is a continuing engagement and you might have to rethink if it’s of some benefit or not.
- Certifications are less valued as compared to real-world experience and achievements. Someone with big work experience will be favored more by certain employers. But it also depends on the wisdom, thinking, and requirements of the hiring agent.
- Having a certification will help you gain recognition at your workplace. It will also increase your employer’s faith in you. They will be assured that you have the right skill set to finish a difficult objective with proper planning.
- Some employers encourage training and certification because it increases the efficiency and quality of work. If you already have a certification then you can get a promotion or an increment in your pay scale. Some Microsoft Certified Partners companies have to maintain a fixed number of certification holders in their employees to sustain their Microsoft partnership. They get direct benefits for maintaining your certification in the form of discounts and support for Microsoft technologies.
- Microsoft Office is the leading office management software and is being used by organizations all over the world. An Office certification will showcase your mastery of working with this software efficiently. You will be able to perform the tasks without training as you will already know the tools they are using to conduct their business.
- The verification of Microsoft certifications is easier as compared to the other third-party vendor certifications.
- Microsoft Office Certifications are renowned because it requires a lot of training, time, and money to achieve them.
Types of Microsoft certifications
The Microsoft Office certifications are divided into three categories:
- Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)
- MOS Expert
- MOS Master
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS)
You can MOS certified in any of the five Office apps. There are no prerequisites for any of the certification exams. The exams are:
- Word 2016 (Exam 77-725)
- Excel 2016 (Exam 77-727)
- PowerPoint 2016 (Exam 77-729)
- Access 2016 (Exam 77-730) Or Outlook 2016 Exam 77-731)
Microsoft Office Specialist (MOS) Expert
The MOS Expert certification focuses on two applications: Word or Excel. There are no official prerequisites for any of the exams. You can get certified in one or both of these apps to become a MOS expert. The exam/exams that you need to are:
- Word 2016 Expert (Exam 77-726)
- Excel 2016 Expert (Exam 77-728)
How to get MOS certified?
The good thing about the MOS certifications is that there are no prerequisites for any of the exams. You can go for one of the Expert level exams directly if you are proficient in working with one of the Microsoft Office programs. But it is preferred to start with the Specialist certification before moving to the Expert and Master levels. Let us give you some information that is required to get a MOS Certification. The exam duration is 90 minutes. It costs USD 100 to take an exam. You can book your exam center at Certiport.
After knowing the benefits of Microsoft Office certification you must be thinking about adding it to your resume. Most businesses across the world are using Office applications for conducting their day-to-day businesses. Having the certification will prove your worth to the employer. For preparation for the certification exams, you can enroll yourself in a training course. The course will help you prepare for the exams, saving your money and time. uCertify provides specialized courses for Ms 101 Certification exams like Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, and Access. You can choose our online training courses. Our Microsoft Word course has the best learning resources to help you get all the knowledge required for passing the exam. Visit our platform and see how our courses will help in the Microsoft Office Certification exam prep. Get yourself enrolled in our comprehensive course and take your preparation and your career to the next level.